Make this Vegan Mug Cookie in less than 5 minutes for a quick and easy dessert! It has crispy edges, and a warm, gooey center. Just 8 simple ingredients are needed!
Have you ever wanted a warm homemade chocolate chip cookie, without the 2-hour prep and the washing afterward? If so, this is the perfect dessert to make to get your sweet tooth fix FAST.
This vegan mug cookie is easy to make, kid-friendly, and turns out soft and fluffy on the outside and fudgy on the inside.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make. The best part is that this easy recipe comes together in 5 minutes or less!
- No washing afterward! Don't you hate it when you make a simple dessert and have to spend 30 minutes washing the dishes after that?
- No fancy equipment is needed. All you need is a coffee mug, a fork, and a tablespoon to measure the ingredients.
- Made with pantry staples that you probably already have.
Ingredients and Notes
See the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Non-dairy milk: You can use any type of milk including soy milk or almond milk.
- Vegan butter: If you can't get your hands on vegan butter, you can use vegetable oil instead (like canola oil, refined coconut oil, etc.).
- All-purpose flour: If you want to make a gluten-free mug cake, you can use gluten-free flour.
- Oat flour: If you don't have oat flour, you can substitute it with 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- Sugar: We like to use both light brown sugar and white sugar for the best results.
- Chocolate chips: Make sure to use vegan chocolate chips. If you want to have big chocolate chunks, you can roughly chop a bar of dark chocolate.
- Baking soda or baking powder: To help the cookie rise and get fluffy.
- Vanilla extract: Optional, but if you have it on hand, we suggest adding a small splash for more flavor.
How to Make Vegan Mug Cookie
Spray a small microwave-safe mug or a ramekin with cooking spray. Then, add wet ingredients first- milk, melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla extract (optional). Stir with a fork or a small whisk.
Using two types of sugar gives this cookie a ton of flavor (from the molasses in the brown sugar), as well as the right amount of moisture.
Next, add the dry ingredients- all-purpose flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Using oat flour in addition to regular flour gives a rich nutty flavor to this cookie, which we really like.
Finally, top it with a few more chocolate chips to finish. Microwave for 1 minute. It should be fluffy yet fudgy inside. if it's not ready after 1 minute, microwave it for 30 more seconds.
If you don't have a microwave, you can bake this vegan mug cookie. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC) and add the ramekin to a baking sheet. Bake the cookie for 8-10 minutes.
- Don't overmix the dough! Mix just until the ingredients are well combined. If you overmix, your cookie will not be as fluffy and fudgy.
- Grease your mug to prevent sticking. Either use a cooking spray or make a quick brush with oil.
- Measure the flour correctly. Adding too much flour will result in a dry cookie, so it's important to measure it the right way. If you are not aware of how to do that, we suggest reading this guide to help you with it.
- If you want to make it chocolate flavored, stir in 1-2 teaspoon cocoa powder.
This easy recipe requires just a few minutes to mix together and I suggest making it right before serving. It's not suited for make-ahead.
Yes! You can mix the ingredients in a small bowl if that's easier for you. Then distribute the mixture between two mugs.
It's best to serve this vegan mug cookie right away, while it's still warm. It doesn't keep well for longer.
You can also use coconut sugar or pure maple syrup instead.
Yes, but you may need to add a little bit more milk since whole wheat flour absorbs more moisture and can dry out the dough.
This vegan microwave cake is best served fresh, but if you have any leftovers you can keep them at room temperature for 1-2 days, or in the fridge for 3-4 days.
More Easy Vegan Desserts
Vegan Mug Cookie
- Microwave or oven
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter (or any neutral oil)
- 1 tablespoon plant-based milk of choice
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon oat flour* (or sub with 1 more tablespoon white flour)
- A pinch of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- To a small mug, mix melted butter, plant-based milk, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract (optional).
- Then, add flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until it combines. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Bake for 11-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown. Let it cool for a bit, then enjoy the cookie while still warm.
- Microwave on high for 45-60 seconds (depending on the power of your microwave) until the dough puffs up and looks dry. Let it cool for a bit, then enjoy while still warm.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with third-party calculations without including the optional ingredients.