What is Polenta?
Ingredients You Need
How to Make This Recipe?
At this point, the pumpkin and chickpeas should be roasted until perfection. Take them out of the oven. Assemble the dish by adding the polenta on the bottom and topping it with the caramelized onion and the other components.
Use high-quality corn flour. The better the cornmeal, the better the polenta. Use fine cornmeal for a quicker result.
Add the cornflour a little bit at a time and whisk constantly. This will ensure creamy polenta with minimal lumps.
Serve while it's still warm. As it gets colder, the polenta starts to firm up and loses its creaminess. I love to serve it with a piece of garlic bread on the side.
Chop the squash into small cubes. It will take less time to roast in the oven.
Top with vegan cheese for even more flavor.
How to store and re-heat this recipe?
More Easy Vegan Dinner Recipes
Creamy Vegan Polenta with Butternut Squash and Chickpeas
For the Polenta
- ½ cup fine cornmeal
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk from a can (or sub ½ cup full fat coconut milk + ½ cup water)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the toppings
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (356F). Place chickpeas on an absorbent towel and dry them gently. Transfer to a baking dish alongside the butternut quash. Add smoked paprika, ground coriander, salt, and black pepper, and drizzle with some oil. Mix until well coated and roast for about 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- In the meant time, prepare the caramelized onion. Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in a pot. Once hot, add the red onion and cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Once the onion looks nice and brown, add soy sauce and ¼ cup water of water and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove from the pot.
- Prepare the polenta by adding 1 cup water, 1 cup coconut milk, and salt and bring to a boil. Turn the heat off and slowly start adding the polenta, whisking constantly. Once it thickens, add nutritional yeast and whisk for 1-2 minutes more until it a creamy polenta is formed.
- Take the chickpeas and squash out of the oven and assemble. Add polenta on the bottom and top with caramelized onion and the rest of the components. Enjoy immediately
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with third-party calculations without including the optional ingredients.