Hearty, cozy, and easy to make, this Wild Rice Mushroom Soup comes together in just 1 hour! This recipe is packed with flavor yet it's healthier than traditional wild rice soup. It's completely vegan and dairy-free!
Soup season is officially here and we're kicking things off with this creamy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup! It requires just 1 pot to prepare and is perfect to serve at a family dinner, as it's hearty and filling!
This soup has no cream or butter, which makes it a bit lighter and completely dairy-free! It's also great for meal prep and freezing. A true savior when life gets busy.
- Wild rice blend. We like to use a blend because it's more affordable and accessible. In my books, it tastes just as good.
- Mushrooms. We like to use cremini mushrooms, but a blend of mushrooms could also be great!
- Onion and garlic. These aromatic are essential here!
- Carrot and celery. Finely diced.
- Coconut milk. For making this soup creamy and rich!
- Vegetable broth. Either store-bought or homemade.
- Spices. You'll need dried oregano, sage, and thyme, plus some salt and black pepper for flavor. If you don't have these spices on hand, feel free to use a poultry seasoning instead.
- Oil. For cooking, we like olive oil, but any oil will do.
- Nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan. For adding some salty, and umami flavor. Optional.
How to make this recipe
Add some oil to a large soup pot. Once hot, add onion, carrots, and celery and cook for 5-7 minutes.
Then, add garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking for 5 more minutes, until everything starts to slightly brown. Add your dry spices and mix.
Next, add the wild rice, vegetable broth, and some salt and black pepper. Cover and simmer for about 45-50 minutes on medium-low heat, until the rice is soft.
Add coconut milk and nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan (optional) and stir. At this point, you can taste and adjust the flavor if needed, adding more salt for saltiness, or more vegetable broth if you want to thin it out.
Go ahead and serve it right away! We love to top it off with some fried mushrooms, vegan parmesan, and fresh rosemary!
- Fridge: Let soup cool to room temperature. Transfer to a container with a lid. Save in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Let soup cool to room temperature. Transfer to a container with a lid. Freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw before serving.
How to re-heat
- Microwave: Transfer soup to a bowl and microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warm.
- Stovetop: Add soup to a pot and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes or until warm.
Does wild rice get mushy in soup?
To some degree, yes, it does. Wild rice releases its starch as it cooks, which makes the soup extra creamy, but the rice does get a little mushy.
However, if you're not a fan of this, we suggest cooking your rice separately (according to packaging instructions) and adding it to the soup in the last 5 minutes. In that case, you would also need to cut down on the amount of liquid you add to your soup by at least half. This will prevent it from getting too thin.
What goes with wild rice soup?
My Best Tips for this recipe
- Use a low-sodium vegetable broth. This way you are less likely to oversalt your soup!
- Make sure to use full-fat coconut milk! Using light coconut milk from a carton won't work as well here, so it's important to use thick coconut milk that comes in a can!
- If your soup ends up being too thick, add more liquid. We like really thick soups, but feel free to add more broth or water if needed.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Wild Rice Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- ½ cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 3 heaping cups (10 oz) sliced cremini mushrooms (or use a mix of mushrooms)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme *
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast (optional)
- To a dutch oven or a soup pot, heat some olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, and all of the dried herbs - thyme, rosemary, and sage. Cook for 5 more minutes or until everything is slightly browned.
- Add wild rice, vegetable broth, salt, and black pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and let it simmer on medium-low heat for 45-50 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- In the end, add coconut milk and vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast (optional) and stir to combine. Add more vegetable broth if you need to thin it out.
- Taste and adjust the flavor if needed, adding more coconut milk for creaminess, salt for saltiness, or vegan parmesan for a savory flavor. Serve immediately!