Make this vegan mug cookie in less than 10 minutes for a quick and easy dessert! It has crispy edges, and a warm, gooey center. Just 8 ingredients are needed!
Have you ever wanted a warm homemade cookie, without the 2-hour prep and the washing afterward? If so, this is the perfect recipe to make to get your chocolate fix FAST.
This vegan mug cookie is SO easy to make, kid-friendly and you probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry right now.
Ingredients and Notes
- Milk: We used almond milk, but any type of plant-based milk will work in this recipe.
- Vegan butter: If you can't get your hands on vegan butter, you can use a neutral oil instead (like canola oil, refined coconut oil, etc.).
- Oat flour: If you don't have oat flour, you can substitute it with 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- Sugar: We like to use both light brown sugar and white sugar for the best results.
- Vanilla extract: Optional, but if you have it on hand, we suggest adding a small splash for more flavor.
How to make it
To a small mug, add milk, melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla extract (optional). Stir with a fork or a small whisk.
Using two types of sugar gives this cookie a ton of flavor (from the molasses in the brown sugar), as well as the right amount of moisture.
Next, add all-purpose flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Using oat flour in addition to regular flour gives a rich nutty flavor to this cookie, which we really like.
Finally, top with a few more chocolate chips to finish. You can either microwave or bake it, depending on how much time you have.
I strongly suggest baking this cookie, as it comes out with crispy edges and chewy inside, but if you're short on time, then the microwave will be your best bet.
- Don't overmix the dough! Mix just until the ingredients are well combined. If you overmix, your cookie may end up being tough and extra-crispy.
- Grease your mug to prevent sticking. A cooking spray or a quick brush with oil will do the job.
- Measure the flour correctly. Adding too much flour will result in a dry cookie, so it's important to measure it the right way. If you are not aware of how to do that, we suggest reading this guide to help you with it.
This recipe requires just 2 minutes to mix together and I suggest making it right before serving. It's not suited for make-ahead.
It's best to serve this vegan mug cookie right away, while it's still warm. It doesn't keep well for longer.
Yes! You can mix the ingredients in a bowl if that's easier for you. Then distribute the mixture between two mugs.
More Easy Vegan Desserts
Vegan Mug Cookie
- Microwave or oven
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter (or any neutral oil)
- 1 tablespoon plant-based milk of choice
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon oat flour* (or sub with 1 more tablespoon white flour)
- A pinch of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- To a small mug, mix melted butter, plant-based milk, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract (optional).
- Then, add flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until it combines. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Bake for 11-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown. Let it cool for a bit, then enjoy the cookie while still warm.
- Microwave on high for 45-60 seconds (depending on the power of your microwave) until the dough puffs up and looks dry. Let it cool for a bit, then enjoy while still warm.