Ingredients you need
Tofu. Try to use extra-firm tofu in this recipe for the best flavor and texture.
Smoked Paprika. Gives that deep smokey flavor.
Olive oil. Or any oil you like. You can choose a neutral oil as well.
Balsamic vinegar. Doesn't make this recipe tangy, but makes for a great marinade.
Molasses. Helps with caramelization and adds to the flavors.
Corn starch. You can also swap with tapioca or arrowroot starch.
Soy sauce or coconut aminos, or tamari.
How to make it
Make sure to save the remaining marinade on the bottom for later. Use a spoon to spoon it out into a small bowl.
What to serve it with
Don't skip the pressing. This step is so important, so make sure to not skip it.
Give it time to marinate. At least 30 minutes or, preferably, overnight.
Recipes with tofu to try
How to Make The Best Smoky Tofu
- 14 oz pack of tofu, extra firm
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar *
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon molasses (or sub honey or maple syrup)
- 3 tablespoon tapioca or corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke* (optional)
- Wrap tofu in an absorbent towel and put something heavy on top, like a cast-iron skillet, to press out extra moisture for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the marinade. In a bowl or directly into a baking dish, add all of the ingredients and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Unwrap tofu and cut into the desired shape. Add to the marinade and coat well all of the sides. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, preferably 3 hours or overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (350F).
- If you haven't already, transfer tofu to a baking dish. You will notice that there is a remaining marinade on the bottom, be sure to save it for later.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then flip and spread the remaining marinade. Bake for 20-25 minutes more or until golden.
- Serve over noodle bowls, soups, salads, make spring rolls, and more! Save in a covered container for up to 4 days.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with third-party calculations without including the optional ingredients.