This recipe for coconut rice is a simple, yet revolutionary way to prepare rice. It is SO easy to make and is the perfect side to any soup, stew, curry, and beyond!
Friends, let me introduce you to one of my favorite ways to cook rice! Ever since I know about this method, I have been low-key obsessed!
All you need is just 1 pot, 8 ingredients, and 20 minutes to make this recipe for coconut rice. Besides just adding coconut milk, we also love to add a few spices that give even more flavor, but if you don't have them on hand, feel free to skip that part.
The best part about this recipe is that it lasts up to a week in the fridge, which makes it great for meal prep.
Serve with garam masala curry, eggplant lentil, or as a side dish to this eggplant and tofu recipe!
Is coconut rice healthy?
This basmati rice with coconut milk is gluten-free, vegan, and packed with fiber and plant-based fats. For a healthier version, swap basmati rice with brown rice. Brown rice has more fiber, protein, B vitamins, etc.
Ingredients you need
- Basmati rice or other long-grain rice such as jasmine.
- Coconut milk. Either full fat or light coconut milk from a can.
- Spices like cumin seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaves, allspice, and salt.
- Olive oil for sauteeing the spices. Or any other oil you like.
How to Make This Recipe
To make this recipe for coconut rice, start by rinsing the rice under cold water a couple of times until the water comes out semi-clear (it won't be fully clear and that's okay).
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small pot and add the spices. Saute over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the rice and saute for 1 more minute. Then add water, coconut milk, salt, and bay leaves. Cover with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes.
A key point in this recipe for coconut rice is to not remove the lid while boiling. Let the rice simmer over low heat untouched. Remove from the heat and set aside to rest with the lid on for at least 7-10 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves. Fluff with a fork and taste. Add more salt if needed. At this point, you can serve as is or you can mix in the zest of 1 lime and a squeeze of lime juice, which will give a great kick and some freshness.
- Fridge: When the rice is cool, transfer to a container and cover with a lid. Save in a fridge for up to 6 days.
- Freezer: When the rice is cool, either transfer to a container, or to a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 1 month. No need to thaw before re-heating.
- Re-heat: Heat a small pot over medium-low heat. Either drizzle 1-2 tablespoon of oil or add a splash of water. Once hot, add the rice and cook for 7-10 minutes or until warm.
- Coconut brown rice: Brown rice cooks differently than basmati rice, so be sure to check the packaging for exact cooking time and liquid measurements.
- Golden coconut rice: Add ½ teaspoon turmeric and a pinch of black pepper when sauteeing the spices for healthy golden coconut rice.
- Coconut lime rice: Add the zest of one lime, plus a squeeze of lime juice when the rice is ready.
- When making this recipe for coconut rice, it's important to rinse the rice under cold water before you cook it. This will get rid of some of the starch, which helps it fluff up more.
- Saute spices in oil first. This will activate the spices and will provide more flavor.
- Cook the rice with a lid on. It helps the rice cook evenly and faster.
- Steam for at least 7-10 minutes after cooking. Provides a fluffier texture.
What To Serve with Coconut Rice?
Golden Roasted Cauliflower Soup
We also like to serve this rice with tofu fajitas or our smoky tofu for a protein-packed meal.
If you make this recipe, tag us on Instagram at @sunglowkitchen and hashtag #sunglowkitchen so we can see your delicious results!
Fluffy Coconut Basmati Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice (or another long-grain rice such as jasmine)
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk (or sub ½ cup full-fat coconut milk + ½ cup water)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon all spice/pimento seeds (optional)
- 2 bay leafs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lime (optional)
- Rinse the basmati rice a couple of times under cold water until the water comes out semi-clear.
- Heat olive oil in a small pot or a Dutch oven. Once hot, add cumin, fennel, and allspice seeds and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and let it sautee for 1 minute. Add water, coconut milk, salt, and bay leaves, and bring to a boil. Once it starts to simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes (check out packaging instructions for exact cooking time).
- Remove from the heat and let it rest for at least 7-10 minutes with the lid on.
- Fluff with a fork. Add the zest of 1 lime and a squeeze of lime juice (optional). Serve with curries, soups, and more!
- Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 6 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with third-party calculations without including the optional ingredients.
Leave a Reply