When the sweet tooth kicks, grab one of these brownie energy bites! They're rich, nutty, and slightly salty, for that perfect balance!
These no-bake balls are great to have on hand as a snack, and they keep for 2 weeks in the fridge. They're high in plant-based omega 3's thanks to the seeds and walnuts, yet feel indulgent and satisfying!
Are energy bites good for you?
Ingredients and notes
- Dates. Make sure to use medjool dates that are soft, and not dry. This is important for texture.
- Peanut butter. I like peanut butter but you can use any other nut/seed butter that you like.
- Cacao powder. You can also use carob powder instead.
- Flax seeds. Make sure to ground your flax seeds before using, or use flaxseed meal.
How to make no-bake brownie energy bites
Add-ins and substitutions
Chocolate chips. I love adding dark chocolate chips because they pair really well with this recipe. Add ¼ cup of chocolate chips to the blender and pulse for a few seconds until roughly chopped. Be sure to not over-mix.
Use another nut/seed butter such as cashew butter, almond butter, tahini, etc. This way you can make this recipe nut-free.
Swap the walnuts with another nut or seed. I also like to use pumpkin seeds or almonds.
If your dates are too dry, soak them in hot water for 10 minutes. Then, drain well and squeeze out any excess water.
If your mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons more peanut butter and pulse until well mixed. This depends on the brand of nut butter you use, as some are thicker than others.
Use a cookie scoop to form your balls. This will help you make energy bites of similar size.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
No-Bake Brownie Energy Bites Recipe
- To a food processor, add walnuts and pulse a few times to roughly chop.
- Then, add pitted dates, cacao powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla extract (if using).
- Pulse for about 30 seconds or until the dough is well mixed and starts to clump together. If it’s too dry and it doesn’t stick together when pressed between two fingers, add more nut butter.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls. Enjoy as-is or roll in cacao/carob powder or hemp seeds.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with third-party calculations without including the optional ingredients.